Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Month of Facts about Dru: Day Two

Today's true story:

I once punched a girl when I was in kindergarten. I clearly remember this. It was a rainy day, so for recess we were all in the basketball gym. Kids were playing with balls and running around. I guess I wanted to join in on the fun. This other girl had a ball and I wanted to grab it from her. She resisted my manly overtures so I responded by slugging her in the stomach. She doubled over and started crying, but I got the ball and had fun.

I don't remember if she told me on me right away. She probably did, I guess. I probably got sent to the principal's office. It's just that the thing I remember most was that when I got picked up from school that day, I didn't tell my mom what happened. However, that night, the girl's mom called my mom and told her what happened. That was when I got punished. I don't think I've ever intentionally hit another chick since then, although I've definitely had opportunities.

It's funny, now, to look back on this incident. I really don't remember much about it other than the visceral thrill of physically assaulting another human being. The only true punishment I remember to come out of this is the shame and dishonor I felt when my mom learned about what I did, and I realized that I'd brought disgrace to my family name. I've spent the last 21 years of my life trying to repair that damage and I still don't know if I can over fully restore my honor.

This was definitely one of the key points in my life, and certainly played a significant role in shaping my personality. I try not to punch people nowadays, though; when you're a little kid, it's almost okay to punch other kids because you're not likely strong enough to do any lasting damage and all you'll get is a timeout and maybe a spanking. When you're all grown up, fighting people for no good reason is a way for you to get killed, arrested, or sued.

Also, this incident is proof that violent videogames and comic books did not make me a violent person. As I stated, this incident, which was possibly my first-ever successfully thrown punch, occurred when I was in kindergarten. I didn't even start playing videogames until first grade, and as I mentioned in my first fact post, I owned my first comic book at age seven (which probably means I read my first violent comic book around that same age). I don't know why, but I feel compelled to point out these facts.

So what I'm saying is violence just came naturally to me. Guess I was just born bad.

No comments: