Friday, October 23, 2009

A Month of Facts about Dru: Day Nine

Today's true story:

Do I really need to smile more often?

I guess over the years, I have built up a rep for stoicism. Quite a few people have pointed out to me that I don't seem to smile much. This kind of boggles me. I smile at least a couple times every day. Maybe not every couple minutes like some people, but what's wrong with that? Other people, not just kids, have also asked me why I don't smile much. Typically, my response to this is to put on a straight face and say, "Why don't I smile? Maybe you're just not funny." I wait a couple of beats while the other person feels uncomfortable, and then I smile.

(Or maybe I actually smirk. I've never looked at myself in the mirror when doing this. This reminds me - I need to go practice my smirk. The smirk is one of the most underrated facial expressions of all time. It's almost like a smile, but most people will not have the courage to question you about the undercurrent of smugness. Thus, you can smirk with impunity. It's the grown-man's version of a teenager shrugging his shoulders.)

I don't think my default facial expression is a scowl or anything. Maybe I don't have the facial muscles to walk around with a smile all the time, not like Hines Ward who's always smiling every time you see him play on TV. It just ain't me. It doesn't mean I have a stick up my butt or that I'm angry all the time. I guess a smile isn't natural for me, and I'm okay with that.

I played kickball with the kids today. I was sitting on a bench and one of the kids, a third grade girl, asked me why I don't smile much. Not really the first time I've heard that. Funny thing is, she also said, "I wish you would smile. Then that would make me happy forever!" How could I not smile after hearing that? Even my heart's not that hard.

No comments: