Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Month of Facts about Dru: Day Five

Today's true story:

I don't use a pillow when I sleep. I guess I've mentioned this to people a few times, so it's not really an obscure fact about myself.

I used to use a pillow when I was a young child, but at some point I gave up on the pillow. I must have been around middle school age when I stopped using it. You know how sometimes people mention that they "slept funny" and woke up feeling sore around their neck? That used to happen to me when I used a pillow. Ever since I stopped, I've never hurt myself while sleeping. (Unless I bump my head against the wooden bed frame, which happens once in a while.)

I think what inspired me to stop using a pillow in the first place was sheer experimentation. When I was a kid, my dad sometimes used to sleep on this tatami mat. I always wanted to do everything my pop did, but my mom is one of those overprotective moms and wouldn't allow me to sleep on the floor. My young, feeble mind somehow reasoned that the next closest thing would be to sleep without a pillow. After a couple days without it, I just got used to it and haven't looked back.

Pillows just get in the way. I sleep on my back and I don't really move around too much when I sleep, so I still feel comfortable. Even if I sleep somewhere else, like if I use my sleeping bag someplace, I still won't use a pillow. I can sleep comfortably on a hardwood floor and just my sleeping bag. (As long as the floor is relatively clean, I guess. I am not a big fan of sleeping in filth.)

Now here's the twist ending: I didn't stop sleeping with my stuffed panda bear until I was well into high school.

No comments: