Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Month of Facts about Dru: Day Thirteen

Today's true story:

So I had to use a sick day on Monday. Although I rested in bed most of the day, it seemed like I couldn't get very many consecutive hours of sleep. I think I went to bed on Sunday night at around 11PM and didn't fully get out of bed until Monday at 6PM. (I was up for one or two hours in the afternoon just so I could eat and read.) It's weird to constantly wake up every two or four hours. And each time I woke up it would usually be twenty minutes past the hour. Very predictable.

The strangest thing about staying in bed all day, sleeping for one, two, three, or four hours at a time? Definitely the dreams.

My dreams were fractured and repetitive, and I've already forgotten most of them because I was too lazy to write them down in my Dream Journal. Actually, that could be because I was too lazy to buy a Dream Journal in the first place. Oh, well. There was one funny dream that I remembered, which I thought would be worth sharing.

I dreamt (that's right, I used "dreamt" and not "dreamed") that I was back in high school, playing basketball with some other guys, including my buddy Ma, in the school gym during a free period near the end of the day. It was just a normal pickup game until I noticed that the girl I had a massive crush on walked into the gym with her best friend.

Knowing I had to do everything in my power to impress the girl, Ma started feeding me the ball on every possession, and he started setting good picks and letting me go iso every once in a while. I started launching threes and I was feeling it, too. I could feel myself playing harder and better than usual, turning it up a few notches. Took a heat check and knew I was on fire. I glanced back to where the girl was and of course she wasn't even looking at the game. She and her friend were staring at the ceiling talking about who knows what. After a few more minutes, they left the gym. I don't think she noticed me.

I was still on fire after she left, though. My team just destroyed the other team. That girl ended up going to the winter formal with some other dude. I won a battle, but lost the war. Ain't that a shame.

What I think makes this dream funny is that it wasn't a dream, but a memory. And I don't know if I dreamed it or if I just remembered it while trying to sleep. I haven't thought of this memory in a long time. I wonder why I thought of it on Monday.

I wonder why I can't stop thinking of it now.

No comments: