Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Month of Facts about Dru: Day Fifteen

Today's true story:

Those who know me decently well know that I am a music junkie. I have no musical talent of my own, but at one point in my life, I had a fair amount of pretentious indie rock street cred. I think about the music I like to listen to and I usually buy what I like and/or know is good. As a result, over the years, I have amassed a semi-large collection of CDs. I have a staggering amount of digital music, too, but I guess I am enough of a luddite that I still prefer owning a physical manifestation of the album.

Query: What's the most embarrassing CD that you own?

For me, there are two possible and completely valid answers to this question.

The first album that immediately comes to mind is definitely Spice, the debut album from the Spice Girls. It's not so much the shame of listening to the Spice Girls' music, which I will admit can be catchy in that guilty bubblegum pop way. I have no shame with listening to cheesy teeny bopper pop music. (Well, maybe as long as it's not in public.) No, the shame comes from having paid real American dollars for the right to own the CD. That is something that is difficult to swallow. It's just one of many things that goes on my list of life's regrets.

In my defense, however, I was thirteen when I bought it. You know - completely full of raging hormones and such. (Posh Spice was my favorite back then.)

The other album that I am ashamed of owning is Weathered by Creed. We all know how much Creed sucks. No need to explain it here, I don't think.

Unlike the Spice Girls' album, I honestly have no defense for this one. Keep in mind I was eighteen years old when I bought this. EIGHTEEN! A full grown man, according to some standards. And I actually paid money for this album! Not saying I was rid of my raging hormones at this point in life, but I think it's safe to say that raging hormones did not play a role in my choice to purchase it. I really don't know what I was thinking. My mind must have been in a weird place when I bought this.

Now that I've analyzed myself, it's pretty clear that the Creed album is the most embarrassing CD that I own. There's just no excusing this one. At least with the Spice Girls, that was something I bought when I was a horny adolescent. That's a worthy excuse, right? But I have no way of rationalizing why I bought that Creed album.

I wish I could forgive myself.

No comments: