Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Linking Up

When I was stopped at a red light today, I noticed an interesting sight. There was a bus stop on the corner right next to me and there were maybe six or eight people waiting. Two people in particular stood out. Both of them were playing with their own Nintendo DS.

One was this Asian dude with thick glasses. He wore a backpack and looked like a scruffy college student. His hair was unkempt, almost as though he was so busy playing Dungeons & Dragons that he had no time for grooming.

The other DS player was this white girl who looked about the same age. She was... Let's just say she was extremely homely. I am not really in a mean mood tonight, so I won't say the doctor beat her down with the ugly stick when she came out of her mom or anything like that.

What was interesting to me was that they were both highly engrossed in their DSes. They were standing at least a good 10 feet apart from each other. The bus stop shelter was between them, and the dude was standing closer to the curb while the girl was standing deeper into the sidewalk, near the corner gas station.

I just imagined them linking up their handheld systems and playing games with each other - or maybe using PictoChat to engage in a lovely conversation. Two lonely looking people finding love at a bus stop while playing their Nintendo DSes. What could possibly be more awesome than that?

They were just so into their electronic devices. It fascinated me. The whole time I was stopped, I was just staring at them both, and they didn't look up a single time. They had no concerns. They didn't care about the bus, they weren't worried about a crazy driver crashing into the sidewalk, they didn't even blink or breathe extraneously. They were just focused on each other.

When two people who look like they have nothing in common with each other and just seem like complete opposites... When two people like that get together... Man, that's amazing, is what it is. Just full-blown, in-your-face romantic.

This one time back in Davis, I was buying some lunch at the coffeehouse and the chick at at the cash register had really hairy arms. They were intense. I couldn't help but wonder how hairy our kids would be. I thought about asking her what she thought about that. But I ended up just paying and not saying anything.

And that was the closest I've ever been to linking up with true love.

No comments: