Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Automatic, Baby

Whenever I go to the bank, the workers there always go out of their way to greet me and be friendly. They must be trained to do so. Soon as I walk into Wells Fargo, someone standing near the door welcomes me. Then there's someone like 20 feet away across the room, sitting at her desk, saying hello and offering me assistance. It's rather disconcerting.

Then, when I get to the teller to take care of my business, the person usually asks me how my day is going. Sometimes they ask me about the weather, or what I did that morning, or if I have any further upcoming plans for the day or the weekend. It seems like the people who work at the bank are obligated to make small talk to customers. They always go out of their way to have a conversation with me but mostly I just wanna take care of my stuff and get out of there.

I ain't opposed to being friendly with the workers there, but the way they try to talk to me about the weather when they can look out the window makes the whole situation feel rather contrived. Or when they ask me how I'm doing, they know I'm just gonna say that I'm doing fine, and how are you? I hear them ask the same questions to everyone in line ahead of me.

I wonder what would happen if I decided to be a jerk one day and told the teller that I'm feeling like crap. I wonder if they're trained to deal with that sort of bluntness.

Me personally, I'm wary of asking people, "How are you doing?" Sometimes I might not like the real answer, and I don't wanna make anyone lie to me and say that things are "fine" when they're not.

You might think it's inconsiderate of me to not ask you how you're doing, but actually it probably just means I care too much. That's what I tell myself, at least, whenever I walk away from a friend without really exchanging pleasantries.

No comments: