Friday, December 25, 2009

A Month of Facts about Dru: Day Seventeen

Today's true story:

Holidays have never been a big deal in my life. Not saying I ain't down with them, or anything, 'cause I like them just fine. Ever since I was a kid, my family never celebrated holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas like most others. Most of our relatives don't live close to us so it's always just my folks and me. We don't do much; probably go out to eat at a restaurant, and that's usually it. Other than that, we usually just spend the day at home and enjoy each other's company. My pop and I usually watch football (on Thanksgiving) or basketball (Christmas).

I don't even buy gifts for my parents for Christmas (or their birthdays, for that matter). I guess my household was never big on that tradition. Sure, my parents bought me stuff when I was a little kid, but once I got to a certain age, I recognized that I didn't really need them to buy me crap just because it was Christmas (or my birthday). So that never caught on with me.

However, I've always wondered it would be like to have a large family and extended family with whom to spend the holidays. I wonder if that would help me get into the so-called "holiday spirit" because I usually don't feel anything different at this time of year. Still, big get-togethers sounds like a big hassle to me. Besides, I am a fan of avoiding sentimentality. It's like that Radiohead song. Don't get sentimental; it always ends up drivel. Just look at some of the other crap I've posted on this blog, or ask me to show you my notebook full of poems I've written about unrequited loves.

Also:

Stan Van Jeremy probably feels sorry for me because I have nothing else to do on Christmas Day, other than watch an NBA game.

Somehow, I am okay with this.

No comments: