Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Misadventures in Saturday Balling 09/05/09

The Fob Academy was in full effect this past Saturday, but I didn't play with them. Got to the courts about 11 AM and I saw a group of them on one court. They had their cones set up for drills, too. I don't know why. They placed one at the top of the three-point line and one more at each end of the free throw line. One dude would practice curling to the cones at each end of the free throw line and his buddy would pass him the ball. Then the first dude would take a jump shot. A third guy stood around offering his moral support to both of his friends. It was all very heartwarming to see.

The problem was that I have no idea what was the point of having those three cones set up. It was basically one guy doing the same thing over and over again at the same two spots. It's not like he was posting up on a stationary chair like Chairman Yi. None of the cones were necessary at all, unless he had some sort of learning disability which prevented him from remember where he was supposed to curl and where he was supposed to shoot. If that's the case, then I suppose I accept responsibility for being a scornful jackass. But I highly doubt it.

There were a lot of players from the Fob Academy that day. They just claimed one court and had full court games among themselves. The guys I usually played against weren't there, either. Or if they were, I couldn't tell 'cause all Asians look pretty much the same to me.

I ended up just shooting around for a while. My buddy Ma (aka OptionZero) was there, but he was in a halfcourt three-on-three game. Surprisingly, Tiffany showed up. (I can't think of a good nickname for her.) Shot around a bit. Then we played horse. I'll keep it real. I lost to a girl. After that, I knew it was gonna be a lousy day for basketball.

Fortunately, the first game I played, I had this one white dude on my team who was just a dominant player. He was probably around 6'3 or 6'4. Pretty athletic and had relevant basketball skills. We just kept feeding him the ball. He could score in a variety of ways because no one else on the court was close to his size and strength. He posted up, he slashed to the hoop, he drilled jumpers, he rebounded, he blocked and changed shots on defense... Dude was just a complete player. We pretty much killed the other team. I missed two fast break layups that I usually make. That's what happens when you lose to girls at horse before you play with the big boys. Your game just goes downhill. I don't think your biorhythm can recover after something like that.

The second game we played, everyone decided to mix up the teams. I wasn't on the tall dude's team. We got murdered. I don't even remember the score, but it wasn't close. I had a pretty embrassing turnover that game, too. The tall dude had a shorter friend who was also really good, really quick and just good basketball skills. Anyway, this guy was guarding me while I brought the ball up the court. Now usually, players usually play kind of off in this situation. It was just one-on-one, and we had just walked across the half court line. I decided to test the guy, so I just started dribbling in one spot, daring him to move in closer. Dude called my bluff, only his reflexes were way quicker than mine. One swipe, two swipes, and suddenly he slapped the ball right out of my possession. By the time I realized what happened and turned around, he was already dropping in a layup. It was that bad. I knew I should have just gone home after Tif beat me at horse.

Yeah, it was just one of those days. I definitely didn't get enough rest Friday night. It was the Xbox. That Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is straight crack.

I think I will go play some of that now... I know I have a chance at winning in that game.

No comments: