Monday, February 4, 2008

Eighteen and One!

That was an amazing game, my friends, an amazing game.

Ever since I got more into football, I've been a big fan of the Niners and Raiders. Obviously, I've gotta be a Niners fan. And yeah, I guess it is kind of strange for a San Franciscan Niners fan to also like the Raiders. I understand that it is kind of unusual to love and root for a team that is known for being thuggish and has crazy fans that are willing to riot after big games. There's also the crosstown rivalry. But I just dig the silver and black uniforms. I think they are sweet. Also, I just can't find it within myself to hate the guys who play right next to the Warriors' arena.

I think a big part of why I like both the Niners and Raiders is simply because I see them on TV all the time. I have just built up a familiarity with the organizations and I just like the players because those are the games I always watch on Sundays.

But one team I saw quite a bit of this season on TV was the Giants. I think I watched them play seven or eight times this season, including their dramatic playoff run. Maybe watching them so much helped me like them more. I also like Plaxico because of ESPN NFL 2K5. And that one game a couple months back, on Sunday Night Football, when Osi Umenyiora sacked McNabb six times - that got me excited. Plus watching Eli play over the past few months has led me to stop doubting him. After Week 17, I think I respected him more, and I think he did well in the playoffs.

I was definitely rooting hard for the Giants. I hate the Patriots. I don't really have anything against most of their players, but I think their coach is a jerk, and I am not down with dynasties (unless it's one of my home teams). I couldn't imagine anyone outside of Boston rooting for the Patriots. I mean, I guess I eventually found out that people I knew wanted to see them make history, but personally, I wanted to see them humbled. I wanted to see it so badly.

It angered me to see their arrogance. Players from other teams would tell the media how guys like Seymour were dirty and unsportsmanlike. And you could tell from post-game interviews that Belichick is the kind of coach who doesn't care about people, only about winning and running up the score and smirking as he shakes the hand of opposing coaches. I read this one article in ESPN the Magazine and Bob Knight was like one of the only guys who wanted to say something positive about Belichick. Dude, when Bob Knight is your only ally, you know you're a big fat jerk.

So while everyone was talking about how many touchdowns the Patriots would win by in the Super Bowl, I was just hoping and praying that the Giants could pull off the greatest upset in football. I thought about it every day for the past two weeks. I read articles that analyzed the game from just about every angle and it seemed like everyone concluded that the Patriots would destroy the Giants, unless a miracle happened.

Haha, baby!! That was David beating up Goliath. That was righteous fire from heaven. That was the walls of Jericho crumbling into dust. That game was... USA 4, USSR 3.

Eighteen and one, baby! Eighteen and one!

1 comment:

Chris said...

i like the Biblical connections, especially the jericho one.