Saturday, November 24, 2007

Diss Track

What's the greatest diss track in the history of popular music? "Ether" by Nas? "The Bitch in Yoo" by Common?

The correct answer is "You Oughtta Know" by Alanis Morissette.

Yes. "You Oughtta Know," that spiteful tirade against Uncle Joey from Full House. Alanis truly is the angriest woman in the history of Canada. Seriously, you have to be the most mean-spirited, heartless, and cruelest bitch in the world in order to write a song dedicated to emasculating Uncle Joey. UNCLE JOEY, folks! That's just wrong. On so many levels.

See, here's why I believe "You Oughtta Know" is the most threatening diss track ever recorded. The other week, when I was walking through a parking lot, I heard this chick just blasting that song from her car stereo. Her windows were rolled down and she was cruising, playing that song at max volume. I have never, ever heard anyone blast Alanis Morissette in public like that.

It takes some serious balls to not be ashamed of blasting one of Alanis' songs. I would not want to cross the chick who is tough enough to boast, through her choice of pop music, her unbridled and extensive man-hate. I feared for my masculinity when that chick's car rolled past me. I had to go straight to Big 5 so I could buy a cup to protect my manhood.

No comments: