Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not a good week for Asians

My people have suffered alot this week.

Last Thursday in Constitutional Law, the teacher asked what exactly did the government have as evidence to use against the poor saps being held in Guantanamo Bay. As the class smartass, I immediately shot my hand up and said:

"They had *triple hearsay*, which might as well be like arresting a guy after u got a tipoff in a Myspace comment."

To which the teacher replied:

"Jonathan, I think they had more than that."

Jeez. It either went straight over her head or she just wanted to dick me.

(Editor's Note: For those who aren't in the legal profession, "triple hearsay" is the equivalent of "jack SHIT". As a layperson's example...it's like proving that PerfectDru is fat relying on the statement, "I heard my Garbage Man say he heard his cousin heard Bob Dole say PerfectDru is fat". Yeah. Jack. Shit.)

Anyways, throwing up a brick in class woulda been OK if some bitch didn't later comment in class (during a discussion of wartime Presidential power):

"I know internment camps weren't great, but basically, weren't they just gated communities for Asians?"

Memo to bitch: They were not gated communities. Mike Shinoda wasn't spitting fire about how his grandfather had to stay in Wysteria Lane.

And the worst part?
Everyone cracked up, even though I'm quite certain the bitch was not kidding.

WTF is wrong with folks?

Then
Then
Then, next school day? It's Discovery class.

We were learning about the ethical questions surrounding Conflicts of Interest (Example: Representing a Husband in a divorce proceeding when u banging his Wife or Bill Gates representing someone bringing an antitrust suit against Microsoft).

Essentially, if I have a Conflict of Interest with a client I accidentally (or not) accepted, I am supposed to stop representing that Client.

That's all fine and dandy, but does that mean my whole Firm (all my fellow lawyer co-workers) be unable to represent that Client any more?
Why can't the Firm just build an imaginary "Ethical Wall" against me and isolate me, pretend I don't exist, shut me out?

Well, the answer, according to another Bitch:

"Ethical Walls don't work because they're Chinese Walls."

Hrm.

Me:
"Why do the walls have to be Chinese"?

Bitch:
"Because they don't work! Look at the Great Wall!"

Me:
...
...
...

Damn. I had nothing. That was stone cold, man. Stone cold. Frickin' Mongolians.

No comments: